Re: Tablespaces with Windows 2000 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Balzter
Subject Re: Tablespaces with Windows 2000
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Magnus,

Magnus Hagander schrieb:
>>I'm having a hard time trying to create a tablespace with
>>Windows 2000 and PostgreSQL 8.

> In general, it's the service account that has to have permissions. When
> you say client/service, do you mean you want to create a tablespace on a
> network drive? If so, not supported.

I guess this was the original problem. Unfortunately, the PG
documentation does not mention this (not in the Tablespace chapter
anyway), so I spent some time with "try&error" until it worked.

> create a tablespace
> that's local to the server, that should work fine.

It works fine, but only if the Windows user who runs the service is also
the one who _creates_ the tablespace directory. Having R/W permission is
not enough. That's bad because the service-running user account is often
one specially created for PG and never really being logged in... well,
but once you know it, there's at least a way to work it out.

> Oh, and make sure all the filesystems are NTFS - tablesspaces is not
> supported on any other filesystems.

Yep, I had checked this.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,