Re: newbie question - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Miha Radej
Subject Re: newbie question
Date
List pgadmin-support
hi!

i once had a similair problem, but due to a partial hard drive failure.
all i needed was the data directory from the 7.2 version. i then
installed pgsql7.2 into a different directory and ran the 7.2 server
with the -D parameter pointing to the old data directory. next, i ran
pg_dump and pg_dump_all to dump all my user/database info which i then
imported into pgsql7.4. i have to say i encountered no errors in the
process so it went through rather smoothly. you can also run both
versions at the same time, you just need to change the port from 5432 to
something else, ie 5433 for one version.

so as long as you have your data directory intact, you should imo have
no big problems getting your data from one to another version. there may
be other solutions but this one worked for me :)

good luck,