Re: Numeric 508 datatype - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Numeric 508 datatype
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
>
>>Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>>>Now we're into 8.2devel mode, its time to submit the previously
>>>discussed patch that:
>>>- reduces Numeric storage format by 2 bytes
>

>>This makes the often discussed binary upgrade impossible, so I wonder if
>>two bytes savings are worth the trouble.
>

> Unless someone actually steps forward and produces a working pg_upgrade
> in the 8.2 timeframe, this objection is moot.

Hm, so if this patch is applied now, and in 5 months or so somebody
implements pg_upgrade, this numeric storage patch would be rolled back?
OTOH, an upgrade mechanism that's compatible for future 8.3+ versions
only seems not too attractive.
A solution might be to keep the current numeric implementation under a
different name (deprecatednumeric or so), for backward compatibility
(this should apply to future storage format changes as well).

Regards,
Andreas