Re: upgrading from backend version 811 to 812 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Mayrhofer
Subject Re: upgrading from backend version 811 to 812
Date
List pgsql-general
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> 811? 812? We don't have anything close to those version numbers...

I'm well aware that PostgreSQL itself is currently at 8.1.0 - however, i'm
upgrading from 8.1beta2, and it seems to me that the backend version was
modified between those two versions - "811" and "812" seem to be backend
version identifiers which are reported when i'm trying to start the 8.1.0
postmaster on the 8.1beta2 cluster:

FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 811,
but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 812.
HINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.

> If you're upgrading to 8.1 you need to dump/reload, unless you're
> comming from a recent RC or beta. You *might* be able to get away with a
> simple drop-in upgrade in that case.

tried that - does not work. That's why i'm asking...

thanks,

Alex