Re: Performance issues with custom functions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Edward Di Geronimo Jr.
Subject Re: Performance issues with custom functions
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
This is fairly hard to read ... it would help a lot if you had shown the
view definitions that the query relies on, so that we could match up the
plan elements with the query a bit better.
I wasn't sure how helpful it would be. Here they are:

create view development.network as
select * from odbc_select('amsterdam', 'bob.dbo.network') as (
    network_id varchar ,
    status_cd varchar  ,
    name varchar  ,
    network_action varchar  ,
    physical_type_cd varchar  ,
    service_type_cd varchar  ,
    parent_network_id varchar  ,
    commission_network_id varchar  ,
    rep_id varchar  ,
    tax_id varchar  ,
    url varchar  ,
    entry_method_cd varchar  ,
    entry_individual_type_cd varchar  ,
    entry_individual_id varchar  ,
    service varchar (30),
    cost_routine varchar (150),
    commission_rate numeric(5, 5)  ,
    directory_number varchar (11),
    search_url varchar (200),
    member_rate numeric(15, 2)  ,
    free_months numeric(18, 0)  ,
    eligibility_hound varchar (60)
)

create view development.network_state as
select * from odbc_select('amsterdam', 'bob.dbo.network_state') as (
    network_id varchar,
    state_cd varchar,
    product varchar (100) ,
    status_cd varchar,
    entry_method_cd varchar,
    entry_individual_type_cd varchar,
    entry_individual_id varchar,
    logo_id int ,
    from_date timestamp ,
    thru_date timestamp
)

create view development.xlat_tbl as
select * from odbc_select('amsterdam', 'xlat_tbl') as (
    field_name varchar  ,
    field_value varchar  ,
    status_cd varchar  ,
    descr varchar  ,
    descrshort varchar  ,
    entry_method_cd varchar  ,
    entry_individual_type_cd varchar  ,
    entry_individual_id varchar
)

However, I'm thinking the problem is with this IN clause:

        where pl.network_id in (select ns.network_id                       from development.network_state ns                         where ns.from_date < current_time                           and (ns.thru_date > current_time or
ns.thru_date is null)                       and (ns.state_cd = pl.state_cd or ns.state_cd='')                         )
Because the sub-SELECT references pl.state_cd (an outer variable
reference), there's no chance of optimizing this into a join-style IN.
So the sub-SELECT has to be re-executed for each row of the outer query.

BTW, it's not apparent to me that your "flattened" query gives the same
answers as the original.  What if a pl row can join to more than one
row of the ns output?
Well, I guess you are right. As far as the database can tell, the queries aren't the same. In practice, they are. network_state is essentially tracking our contract dates with different discount healthcare networks. from_date and thru_date track the timeframe we use that network, with thru_date being null for the current networks. Some networks cover all states, in which case state_cd is an empty string. Otherwise, there will be a row per state covered. I can't think of any way to enforce data integrity on this other than maybe via triggers. Is there any way to make things more clear to the database (both in general and on the postgres end of this) ? At the moment, the SQL Server table has the primary key defined as (network_id, state_cd, product), which is ok for now, but I'm realizing going forward could be an issue if we ever stopped using a network in a state and then went back to it.

I guess the next question is, is there any way I can give postgres hints about what constraints exist on the data in these views?

Ed