Re: PSQL suggested enhancement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: PSQL suggested enhancement
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 09:28:25AM -0700, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:
>

>>I just find it surprising that XML is not one of the formats provided,
>>considering that XML is considered a data interchange format (much more
>>than HTML, which is a representation format).
>>

>All jokes aside, saying "output to XML" is like saying "all our
>documentation will use words from the english dictionary". Yes, you
>made a constraint but until you decide grammer, syntax and style, you
>havn't decided anything yet.
>
>Realistically, psql is only ever going to support one XML format, we
>can't add more styles every time someone asks for one. Hence, we should
>pick the one that is going to be most easily loaded into other programs
>(the entire point of XML, right?). To that end, we should probably aim
>for something like the OpenDocument table format, which looks a bit
>like below. At least that way you stand a chance of being able to
>import it and/or display it.
>
>At least, unless someone has some better idea? Outputting complete
>gnumeric spreadsheets is going a bit far, no?

OTOH, this idea might be really kinda cool.  Maybe a good idea for
client applications....  Or are there other programs out there that can
save db queries to static (stand-alone) Gnumeric spreadsheets?

This would actually be a killer feature for one of my customers....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers