Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Terry Fielder
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Tom Lane wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
>
>>Strangely a pgsql to oracle exporter is a good thing.  It'd be a great
>>feature of PostgreSQL.  Imagine how many people would start on
>>PostgreSQL if they KNEW that one day they could easily move to Oracle if
>>they needed to.  Risk management.
>

> Problem is: to offer such a thing with a straight face, we'd have to
> confine ourselves to an Oracle-subset version of SQL.  For instance,
> lose the ability to distinguish empty-string from NULL.

Oh please PLEASE *PLEASE* don't bend that way.  Oracle has some SQL non
compliant flaws at least one is serious:  The inability to distinguish
between the absence of value and an explicitly empty string is just ONE
of Oracle's ridiculous fubarness.  People who know what a NULL really is
and use it properly have to program around Oracle's stupidity to "dumb
it down" for the weak application developer, let's not do that.

Terry

>             regards, tom lane

Terry Fielder
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
Fax: (416) 441-9085