Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> PostgreSQL doesn't suffer from that. Our only real, substantiated
>> concern that I can see is the potential for the Software Patent crap.
>

> Stupid question here ... if Oracle came at us with "the Software
> Patent crap", is there any "reasonable time" provided to remove it?
> We've already shown in the past that that isn't a big hurdle, with the
> ARC stuff, so am just curiuos as to how big a thing the Patent stuff
> is, or does even that fall under 'temporary setback / inconvience'?

Depends on them. They can request "Injunctive Relief" but they have a
whole bunch of other things they would have to get around... They are
more likely to go after
Command Prompt, Pervasive and most like EnterpriseDB than anybody.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake