Re: mysql woes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: mysql woes
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 10/12/2005 5:04 PM, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 05:55:50PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> The other alternative is that MySQL is able to develop another
>> transactional storage engine quickly.
>
> Given how long it took them to develop sub-queries, stored procedures,
> views, etc...

I think everybody knows that this is out of the question. Developing a
new transactional storage engine from scratch in the required timeframe
is unrealistic.

If they really lose InnoDB, the only alternative I see is to approach
SleepyCat and hope, Oracle isn't already talking to them. However, last
time I looked BDB did not have foreign key support or MVCC.

You remember those T-shirts with "Foreign keys - check"? What are we
going to see now ... "Foreign keys - you still don't really need them"?

Jan