Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Peter, Simon:
>
> First off, Simon, could you look at the Press FAQ to see if there's
> anything missing based on your experience at LWE-SF?
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_faq.xhtml
>

>>And of course they are right.  Porting from MySQL to PostgreSQL is a
>>problem, one which could only be solved by dumbing down PostgreSQL to
>>accept many of MySQL's idiosyncracies, which isn't going to happen.
>

> Well, better migration tools would be a start.  PHP's gradual transition to
> PDO (and working with the PDO folks to make PDO_pgsql better, like not
> doing count(*)) will help a lot too; the biggest MySQL migration
> complaints I here are from users of PHP stuff like *Nuke and various Wikis
> which sprinkle SQL throughout the interface code.
>
> More important than any of these would be a 5-page guide, "Migration Tips
> from MySQL to PostgreSQL."

I have laying next to me 7+ page article from the October 2003 issue of
phpArchitect. "Migrating from MySQL to PostgreSQL" by Rick Morris.  I
only got a copy so I could help the php users at my old job move over
and I only scanned it at the time.  Just rediscovered it this AM.
Serendipity?

Two other things come to mind since I just started a job that uses MySQL.

1. I still haven't (re)searched for a substitute for MySQL Browser that
they find indispensable.  Off the top of anyone's head is there a
similar tool?

2. I have made a lot of head way towards a move from MySQL because of
triggers and rules, and multiple languages to write them in ( get this
stuff out of the code.)  I will be following this closely and may be
able to help when I finally get my way and we move on.  I've already got
several MySQL-isms in the code headed out the door.

Rod
--

---
[Certified Virus free by ASISNA Mail Services.    www.asisna.com ]