Re: Need Some Suggestions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Need Some Suggestions
Date
List pgsql-performance
Lane Van Ingen wrote:
> I have an application that is prone to sudden, unscheduled high bursts of
> activity, and
> I am finding that the application design permits me to detect the activity
> bursts within
> an existing function. The bursts only affect 3 tables, but degradation
> becomes apparent
> after 2,000 updates, and significant after 8,000 updates.

Hmm - assuming your free-space settings are large enough, it might be
adequate to just run a vacuum on the 3 tables every 5 minutes or so. It
sounds like these are quite small tables with a lot of activity, so if
there's not much for vacuum to do it won't place too much load on your
system.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd