Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ron,

I've somehow missed part of this thread, which is a shame since this is
an area of primary concern for me.

Your suggested algorithm seems to be designed to relieve I/O load by
making more use of the CPU.   (if I followed it correctly).  However,
that's not PostgreSQL's problem; currently for us external sort is a
*CPU-bound* operation, half of which is value comparisons.  (oprofiles
available if anyone cares)

So we need to look, instead, at algorithms which make better use of
work_mem to lower CPU activity, possibly even at the expense of I/O.

--Josh Berkus