Re: Enable CI on postgres/postgres github repo? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Enable CI on postgres/postgres github repo?
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 11:51 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Now that the CI patch has been merged [1], perhaps it'd make sense to
>> enable
>> that on the postgres/postgres mirror on github? See [2] for instructions.

> Seems reasonable to me - no cost, and very little effort. I'm happy to set
> it up if noone objects.

I'm kind of down on this actually.  Either it will be a waste of cycles
because no one looks at the reports, or PG hackers will have to learn
to read and interpret a second source of build failure reports.  We have
a lot of accumulated knowledge about the buildfarm, plus ways to examine
past failures, none of which would exist here as far as I've gathered
from experience with the cfbot.  (And the cfbot's reports definitely suck
in usability compared to the farm --- failures often omit critical logs,
and what there is is crammed into a single badly-formatted web page.)

I guess the bottom line for me is "set it up if you want, but don't
expect me to pay any attention to it".

            regards, tom lane