Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch
Date
List pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Is it really necessary to hack up the grammar for this?  Seems like
>you should create ordinary functions to manipulate the datatype(s).
>If every datatype thought it could do this sort of thing, we'd have
>a completely unmanageable grammar.

Can we do variadic functions without hacking the grammar? My impression
was that we could not. Maybe we need a generic mechanism for that?

Peter said here (more or less uncontradicted) that hacking the grammar
would be required for these functions:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-01/msg00758.php

cheers

andrew