Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version
Date
List pgadmin-support
Stephen McConnell schrieb:
> Dave
>
> "Functions like gethostbyname() are written by Microsoft, not us. If
> they
> don't return, there's not much we can do. I suppose we could run every
> system call in a different thread so we can abort if it doesn't return,
> but that would bring a whole new meaning to the term 'bloatware' and
> would probably mean we would still be writing the connect code."
>
> While you probably don't need to write a new thread for each and every
> system call, PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMING DISCIPLINE determines which
> system calls could possibly hang a program and performs the appropriate
> exception handling.  Any other development process that writes a widely
> distributed application to be used on a particular platform (Open
> source or not) is hubris (very much like Microsoft, I'll admit).

"PROFESSIONNAL PROGRAMMING" is paid programming. So this is an
offer on sponsorship by you?

> "Configure a sensible firewall policy that allows pgAdmin to perform
> lookups? If your firewall doesn't allow you to do this, throw it in the
> bin and get a decent one."
>
> I was wondering if you had a constructive solution, since the
> organization I work in uses Norton Anti Virus and Internet Firewall as
> a standard and I can't simply just "throw it in the bin."  I hate
> having to try to configure a new rule, have pgAdmin hang and then retry
> a new rule.

The Norton Anti Virus and foobar is probably the worst "security
solution" one can buy. Maybe your company should invest in a
consultant rather then believe in false security?

You dont believe? Scan securityfocus mailinglist for further details.

> Since, I don't need a DNS server (I'm using ip addresses rather than
> names to access PostgreSQL on another server), maybe there could be an
> option added that disables this "feature".

Why? You could as well add sensible configuration - which is the whole
point of having a firewall :-) Btw, the sources are open - you
can make and submit a patch if you dont like particular implementation :-)

You can even privately patch your copy in any way you like.