Re: TODO questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: TODO questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>But the contrary position is that a comment is a comment, not something
>that should act to change the state of the postmaster.

I think that's a mis-statement of the issue, as I understand it, which
seems to me to be this: Should the absence of an explicit setting in the
config file result in keeping the previous setting of the item or in
resetting it to the default value? Of course, the question is made more
complex by the fact that you can set things by means other than the
config file, and having your settings revert to some default might
indeed cause some surprises. Notwithstanding that, I'm fairly firmly in
the revert to default camp - I think on balance it conforms to the
principle of least surprise.

cheers

andrew