Re: pthread stack on FreeBSD WAS: HEAD doesn't cope with - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Johnny C. Lam
Subject Re: pthread stack on FreeBSD WAS: HEAD doesn't cope with
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
>>
>>Damn, I'm sorry, I totally mis-interpreted this. Turns out the failures
>>are due to a perl problem.
>

> Yeah, but the nonpic change caused that.
>
> Can anyone tell me which machine types (host_cpu values) FreeBSD does
> support non-PIC code in shlibs for?  Is it only x86, and if so exactly
> what's the host_cpu setting?  We need to throw a conditional into
> Makefile.freebsd.

Judging from the config.guess script that the PostgreSQL distribution
uses, the host_cpu value should be "x86_64".

I think this mixing of non-relocatable and relocatable code is a problem
that exists for all amd64 machines, regardless of the operating system.  When Googling for the linker error message,
I'veseen it crop up for

users running NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux.  I think you'll want to add the
same conditional setting of allow_nonpic_in_shlib in
src/makefiles/Makefile.linux based on the host_cpu value.
Cheers,
-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>