Re: ~/pgpass - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oluwatope Akinniyi
Subject Re: ~/pgpass
Date
List pgsql-general

>> Thanks.
>>
>> The permission is 0600 on Fedora. But must the file
>> (~/.pgpass) be owned by postgres? Also what could explain the
>> reason why it is not working on Windows XP where permission
>> is not checked!
>>
>> I am running version 8.0.3 that is shipped with Fedora Core 4.
>>
>> The content of both ~/.pgpass and pgpass.conf is:
>>
>> 192.168.0.253:5432:hms:xxxxxx
>

> That's not the correct format. See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html:

> hostname:port:database:username:password

> You are either missing database or userid, depending on what "hms" is.

Thank you Sir.

Actually I have it on Windows as:

shepherd1:5432:hms:sysdba:xxxxx
where hms is the database and sysdba the username;

On Fedora as:
192.168.0.253:5432:hms:sysdba:xxxxx
where hms is the database and sysdba the username;

I have a the ~/.pgpass inside the home of user tope (i.e. /home/tope).
I tried with

$ psql

and expected that I will not be prompted for database and password, but
it did and I wondered under what context is the Password File used!

Thanks for your assistance.

Tope Akinniyi
Lagos.