Re: _FORTIFY_SOURCE by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: _FORTIFY_SOURCE by default?
Date
Re: _FORTIFY_SOURCE by default?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> _FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 appears to be the default for package building on many
> Linux distributions now, as part of harding or security options.  But we
> often hear about problems related to this only when we hand the source
> over to the packagers.  So I think we might as well add this to our
> standard compilation options, for example in src/include/port/linux.h.
> What do you think?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me to add platform-specific options
with unspecified effects to platform-independent upstream sources.

To the extent that this option finds anything useful (which in my
experience is a negligibly small percentage anyway), it's the
responsibility of the packagers (including me) to report it.