Re: [GENERAL] - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: [GENERAL]
Date
List pgsql-novice
Adam O'Toole wrote:
> Hello.
> I have an instance of postgreSQL 7.4.7 with one database called dbmedia.
> We are moving to postgreSQL 8.1 running on windows2003 server. Can I
> just copy the entire $PGDATA directory to the new 8.1 instance of
> postgreSQL?

No. And 8.1 isn't out yet.

 > Using PG_dump/restore?

Yes

> I heard that I might run into problems because of the difference in PG
> versions and server architectures. If this wont work, what would be the
> best way to get my dbmedia database moved over to the 8.1 instance
> running on windows?

Test it first - there might be something different between 7.4 and 8.0
that you're relying on. Read the release notes in 8.0 to find out what
might affect you.

It's generally easier to dump/restore using a version 8 pg_dump - each
version is a bit smarter, and can talk to older servers.

Oh - and make sure you're familiar with the Unicode issues on Windows.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd