Re: Change to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Change to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Félix Beltrán wrote:
> 1) Free distribution even for non free applications (including .Net
> driver).

Totally free license.

> 2) Is there a good graphical database designer for PostgreSQL wich also
> suppors online database synchronization?

PgadminIII is supposed to be good. I haven't used it much myself,
however. http://pgadmin.org/

> 3) Easy of management and robust so it needs almost zero administration
> (applications suited for non technical users)

Yes. Like any database, if you have high performance demands, you need
to watch it more closely. However, in most cases it's fire-and-forget.
The one exception I can think of is that you want to either add a cron
script to VACUUM the database regularly, or install the autovacuum
module. Most postgresql packages (like the debian postgresql package) do
this for you.

> 4) Light enough so it can be used on applications installed in a single
> PC.

The footprint is only maybe 30 MB. It can run on pretty much any PC.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis