Re: Querry and SMP mechine - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Ben-Nes
Subject Re: Querry and SMP mechine
Date
List pgsql-general

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

>On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 01:04:51PM +0300, Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
>

>>Hello
>>
>>Im using postgres 8.0.1 on Debian Sarge with 2 XEON 2.4 HT.
>>
>>doing cat /etc/cpuinfo shows that linux sees 4 cpu ( the HT effect ).
>>
>>I noticed that when im runing a big query only one of the CPUs become
>>loaded.
>>
>>Is it normal behavior ? am i missing something ?
>>

>Yep, PostgreSQL uses a single backend for each client, so if you want
>to use all four processors, you need to be running four queries
>simultaneously...

You mean select 1, select 2 & sleect 3 will run on the same cpu becouse
they submited from the same PSQL session ?
Or each select will be run in turn on the most idle cpu ?

Is this true for all the other OS or just for Linux ? (Bsd, solaris... )

Thanks

--
Canaan Surfing Ltd.