Performance problems on 4/8way Opteron (dualcore) HP DL585 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dirk Lutzebäck
Subject Performance problems on 4/8way Opteron (dualcore) HP DL585
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

does anybody have expierence with this machine (4x 875 dual core Opteron
CPUs)? We run RHEL 3.0, 32bit and under high load it is a drag. We
mostly run memory demanding queries. Context switches are pretty much
around 20.000 on the average, no cs spikes when we run many processes in
parallel. Actually we only see two processes in running state! When
there are only a few processes running context switches go much higher.
At the moment we are much slower that with a 4way XEON box (DL580).

We are running 8.0.3 compiled with -mathlon flags.

Regards,

Dirk