Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>>The hardest part of getting a user to stay with PostgreSQL is taking
>>them from "OSS databases are MySQL and PostgreSQL in that order" to
>>getting their first helpful reply from the lists. I think that's the
>>place we really win them over, because they come in looking for a
>>checklist feature or a problem. Often they don't understand the
>>"feature" or they expect to stump the lists with their problem. Then
>>someone steps up and explains to them the right way to do it, why it's
>>the right way, and why PostgreSQL is the best database. And the reason
>>that wins them over is because usually they walk away thinking "wow,
>>that makes a lot more sense".
>

> So, suggestions for how to get them to that stage? :)

I think we are for the most part. It's a little slow. The best way to
improve that is by having more tools. Most tools are either for MySQL,
or they are "DB-independent", which basically means they don't use any
features in PostgreSQL that aren't in MySQL. The applications of
PostgreSQL specificly are often custom, and not widely deployed.

From what I understand, win32 helped a lot. There seems to be some new
names on the general list, and that's always a good sign.

Also, I think what's more important to MySQL than pretty much anything
else is that slashdot uses MySQL and everyone knows it. If somehow
slashdot magically switched to PostgreSQL and saved money and improved
availability, PostgreSQL would instantly be on top. The problem is, for
preexisting apps there is not nearly the incentive. A lot of the benefit
of PostgreSQL is faster development of an application and fewer bugs.

It's too bad sourceforge dumped PostgreSQL...

Regards,
    Jeff Davis