Re: COPY FROM performance improvements - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: COPY FROM performance improvements
Date
List pgsql-patches
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Cool!
>
> At what rate does your disk setup write sequential data, e.g.:
>   time dd if=/dev/zero of=bigfile bs=8k count=500000
>
> (sized for 2x RAM on a system with 2GB)
>
> BTW - the Compaq smartarray controllers are pretty broken on Linux from a
> performance standpoint in our experience.  We've had disastrously bad
> results from the SmartArray 5i and 6 controllers on kernels from 2.4 ->
> 2.6.10, on the order of 20MB/s.

O.k. this strikes me as interesting, now we know that Compaq and Dell
are borked for Linux. Is there a name brand server (read Enterprise)
that actually does provide reasonable performance?

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting