Re: optimized counting of web statistics - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rudi Starcevic
Subject Re: optimized counting of web statistics
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

>I do my batch processing daily using a python script I've written. I
>found that trying to do it with pl/pgsql took more than 24 hours to
>process 24 hours worth of logs. I then used C# and in memory hash
>tables to drop the time to 2 hours, but I couldn't get mono installed
>on some of my older servers. Python proved the fastest and I can
>process 24 hours worth of logs in about 15 minutes. Common reports run
>in < 1 sec and custom reports run in < 15 seconds (usually).

When you say you do your batch processing in a Python script do you mean
a you are using 'plpython' inside
PostgreSQL or using Python to execut select statements and crunch the
data 'outside' PostgreSQL?

Your reply is very interesting.

Thanks.
Regards,