Re: pl/pgsql: END verbosity - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: pl/pgsql: END verbosity
Date
Re: pl/pgsql: END verbosity
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> But this doesn't make it easier to use - users don't just include those who
> write it. The antecedent language of these, Ada, from which this syntax
> comes, was explicitly designed to be reader-friendly as opposed to
> writer-friendly, and this is a part of that.

IMHO it is just needless verbiage that makes programs both harder to
read *and* harder to write, albeit marginally so. I think there is a
reason why Ada-style block terminators are in the minority among
block-structured languages :)

But obviously this is a matter of taste -- does anyone else like or
dislike the current syntax?

-Neil