Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 14, 2008, at 3:26 AM, jose javier parra sanchez wrote:

>> itself open source, you have to pay to get a license.  Pay for GPL
>> software?
>
> You cannot be serious, GPL has no relation with monetary value. The
> GPL is a 'Usage License'.  If i write GPL software to my clients,
> should i give it free of charge ?. That's absurd.

They've gotten around that by making MySQL "dual-licensed".  If you're
going to be using MySQL in a commercial application then you can not
use the GPL'd version, you have to use their paid, commercial license.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888