Re: Consumer-grade vs enterprise-grade disk drives - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Consumer-grade vs enterprise-grade disk drives
Date
Re: Consumer-grade vs enterprise-grade disk drives
List pgsql-hackers
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Tom,
>
> This is a story that is evolving.  Anyone else use StorageReview?  Great
> comprehensive drive benchmarks:
>   http://www.storagereview.com/
>
> Check the comparisons between 15K RPM SCSI drives and the 2004 Western
> Digital 10K RPM SATA (Raptor) drives.  The Raptors are an interesting hybrid
> of SCSI-related tech and desktop tech, and were some of the first drives
> with SCSI-like command queuing TCQ/NCQ.
>
> I think the last remaining issue in moving to SATA for all enterprise use is
> the lack of decent SATA controllers, though 3Ware (http://www.3ware.com) is
> getting there:
>   http://www.3ware.com/link/pdf/Serial-ATA.pdf
>   http://www.3ware.com/products/benchmarks_sata.asp

Although the benchmark numbers are pretty good, they have only published
(what looks like) results for sequential IO. It would be interesting to
see the random ones, as this would tell us how effective the TCQ
implementation is.

Cheers

Mark