Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Russell Smith wrote:

>Maybe people shouldn't be hacking the code before being here a year.

If you want to code, jump in. It is a practical craft that you only
learn by doing. You might learn something of the people but you'll
probably learn precious little of the code by just watching.

But don't jump in at the deep end - massive reorganisation of the
planner should not be your first project ;-). Ask lots of questions.
Tell people what you're doing.

I like the idea of a "relatively simple low hanging fruit" list that we
could point newcomers at.

Here are some nominations:
. add some more tests for the PLs now we have a standard testing framework.
. clean up and document some of the contrib modules so they can go into
the core (e.g. pgcrypto, dbsize, cube, seg)
. rewrite contrib/reindexdb in C so it can be used on Windows
. this TODO item: Remove Money type, add money formatting for decimal type

I'm sure other people will have additions to such a list.

cheers

andrew