Re: pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: pgFoundry
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> We did do that (not very rigorously) during the 7.4 release cycle.
> I'm not sure why we fell out of the habit again for 8.0.  It seems
> like a reasonable idea to me.

In the past I have suggested incrementally maintaining release.sgml (or
some plaintext version of it), rather than having Bruce generate the
release notes from a single sweep through the CVS logs prior to a
release. The current process can easily lose information: Bruce needs to
make a snap decision about which changes are relevant, and it's not
always easy to make that decision correctly. It also means the person
who implemented a feature (and therefore knows the problem well) is not
writing the release notes for it. And it means the release notes are
always at least a little bit behind the times.

IIRC, the previous discussion petered out when Bruce said he prefers the
current process.

-Neil