Re: Catalog Security WAS: Views, views, views: Summary - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Catalog Security WAS: Views, views, views: Summary
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

>>1) The "ISP" case, where you want to hide all catalog information from the
>>users except the database owner or superuser.
>>

>I don't believe this is ever feasible in practice, since client interfaces
>at any level higher than libpq will need to access metadata corresponding
>to the data they are retrieving.

In the general case you might well be right. Following a scheme like I
have in mind is not something that would be transparent to the
application - it will probably impose some serious limits on the app.
The little sample application I did for testing did everything by stored
procedure. Anyway, as I said, it's a project for the future.

cheers

andrew