Re: SQL_ASCII vs. 7-bit ASCII encodings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: SQL_ASCII vs. 7-bit ASCII encodings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I suppose that we can't change the semantics of SQL_ASCII without
> backwards compatibility problems. I wonder if introducing a new encoding
> that only allows 7-bit ascii, and making that the default, is the way to
> go.

A while back I requested a new encoding that is '7BITASCII'.  It would
be excellent for those of use who require that the data is ascii, latin1
and utf8.

> This new encoding would be treated like any other normal encoding, i.e.
> setting client_encoding does transcoding (I expect that'd be a 1:1
> mapping in most or all cases) and rejects unmappable characters as soon
> as they're encountered.

Personally, I'd like UTF8 to be the default encoding :)  This is the
21st century :D

Chris