Re: Whence the Opterons?

From: Geoffrey
Subject: Re: Whence the Opterons?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Whence the Opterons?  (Mischa Sandberg, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Ian Meyer, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Steve Poe, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Gavin M. Roy", )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Sam Vilain, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Mischa Sandberg, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Geoffrey, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (John A Meinel, )
   Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Geoffrey, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Anjan Dave", )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (John A Meinel, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Anjan Dave", )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (John A Meinel, )
   Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Jeff Frost, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (William Yu, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Anjan Dave", )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Andrew Rawnsley, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Magnus Hagander", )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Richard Rowell, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Mohan, Ross", )

John A Meinel wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Mischa Sandberg wrote:
>>
>>> After reading the comparisons between Opteron and Xeon processors for
>>> Linux,
>>> I'd like to add an Opteron box to our stable of Dells and Sparcs, for
>>> comparison.
>>>
>>> IBM, Sun and HP have their fairly pricey Opteron systems.
>>> The IT people are not swell about unsupported purchases off ebay.
>>> Anyone care to suggest any other vendors/distributors?
>>> Looking for names with national support, so that we can recommend as
>>> much to our
>>> customers.
>>

>> Monarch Computer http://www.monarchcomputer.com/
>>
>> They have prebuilt and custom built systems.
>>

> I believe we have had some issues with their workstation class systems.
> Just a high rate of part failure, and DOA systems.
>
> I believe they RMA'd without too great of difficulties, but it was
> something like 50%.

Ouch, that's not been my experiences.  I'd like to hear if anyone else
has had such problems with Monarch.

--
Until later, Geoffrey