Re: Added columns to pg_stat_activity - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Added columns to pg_stat_activity
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> If the stats collector gets sufficiently backed up, you will lose
> messages. [...] Please do not try to make piecemeal changes in that
> basic design decision.

Fair enough.

 > (Actually, we could skinny it down to backend PID only ...
> but that would add a hashtable lookup to every message reception in
> the stats collector, instead of just indexing into a BackendId array,
> so it'd probably be a net loss.)

Yeah, I agree -- backend ID and database ID isn't too bad.

I've applied Magnus patch and bumped the catalog version. I'll take a
look at reorganizing the statistics collector so that the message header
is smaller shortly.

-Neil