Re: Views, views, views! (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> The unimaginable craziness of currently trying to support multiple
> versions of postgresql is pretty bad,

Hu? So you suggest version specific admin tools? *scratch head*

Just for curiosity:
pgAdmin CVS currently has 80 version checked pieces of code to support
7.3/7.4/8.0, and the vast majority is about version specific CREATE
options, i.e. DDL commands, not for querying system catalogs. I remember
only a single occurrence when a system catalog change had an impact on
pgAdmin's usability (dropped datpath).

> and the information_schema is next to useless for these things since
>  it doesn't have PostgreSQL specific things in it.

And the restriction to current user owned objects reduces usability to zero.

Regards,
Andreas