Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:

>>Not decided, but it's surely on the radar screen for this discussion.
>>Joe Conway's PL/R is in the back of my mind as well --- it likely has
>>a smaller userbase than the first two, but from a maintenance standpoint
>>it probably belongs on the same level.
>
> Yeah, except PL/R has wierd build requirements (FORTRAN) and different
> licensing (R is GPL).  :-(

R requires FORTRAN to build, but PL/R doesn't. PL/R just needs an
installed copy of libR.so (or equiv). Also, PL/R can build using pgxs
now, so it doesn't even need a Postgres source tree.

I've considered relicensing PL/R with a BSD license, but I haven't been
able to decide whether I really can do that given libR's GPL status, and
I'm afraid it might tick off the R core developers if I do.

Joe

(quiet lately, but still lurking...)