Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
Date
Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
List pgsql-advocacy
Neil Conway wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Oh, I don't know.  Who's opposing a web button?
>

> Yes, I am strongly opposed: I don't think we should be advancing
> political views as a project. If some people are opposed to software
> patents, what is wrong with voicing that opposition as individuals?

Neil;

Would you be opposed to a simple writeup of why ARC was replaced with 2Q
and why IBM's assurances of non-enforcement against open source products
was insufficient?

In general I too am skeptical of any attempt to politicize the
community, but this has a strong practical aspect too and maybe we
should focus on that aspect.

Or in your view, should we be directing people to the mailing list
archives for their primary source on the political positions we as a
community have been forced to take for reasons beyond our immediate control?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting