(Fwd) Re: windows, cant find ostgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject (Fwd) Re: windows, cant find ostgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21 Apr 2005 at 0:50, Typing80wpm@aol.com wrote:

> I just did a windows install of postgresql.  I cannot find or edit the
>  postgresql.conf.  This is a new Dell machine running XP Professional

I'm running it on my Dell laptop with XP Professional, and it's in
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\data - IIRC, this is the default
installation directory.

> OS. I chose not to install as a windows service, but as a job which I
> can start  and stop. Where should I look for help. Is it easy to

It's very easy to uninstall - use the uninstaller in Control Panel ->
Add or remove programs, and it does it all itself. The uninstaller
does (sensibly) leave the data directory behind, so if you want to
lose that too you have to delete it by hand.

> uninstall? Should I uninstall and then reinstall as a windows service?

Depends on what you want to do. If you usually log in as a privileged
user, you can't start or stop the Postmaster manually - it won't run
from a privileged account - so in this case it might make sense to
install it as a service which you can then start or stop using the
shortcuts which the installer sets up for you.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell     http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
rod@iol.ie                          Galway Cathedral Recitals