Re: Postgresql works too slow

From: Brad Nicholson
Subject: Re: Postgresql works too slow
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Postgresql works too slow  ("Nurlan Mukhanov (AL/EKZ)", )
 Re: Postgresql works too slow  (Steve Poe, )
  Re: Postgresql works too slow  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Postgresql works too slow  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 Re: Postgresql works too slow  (Simon Riggs, )
  Re: Postgresql works too slow  (Brad Nicholson, )

Simon Riggs wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 08:50 +0400, Nurlan Mukhanov (AL/EKZ) wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to restore my database from dump in several parrallel processes, but restore process works too slow.
>>Number of rows about 100 000 000,
>>RAM: 8192M
>>CPU: Ultra Sparc 3
>>Number of CPU: 4
>>OS: SunOS sun 5.8
>>RDBMS: PostgreSQL 8.0
>>

>>How to encrease postgresql speed? Why postgres took only 5.0% of CPU time?
>>

>When you say restore...what are you actually doing?
>An archive recovery?
>A reload?
>A file-level restore of database?

If you are doing a restore off a pg_dump, did you dump the data as
inserts?  This takes a lot more time to restore.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106