Re: How to improve db performance with $7K? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steve Poe
Subject Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date
List pgsql-performance

Alex Turner wrote:

>To be honest, I've yet to run across a SCSI configuration that can
>touch the 3ware SATA controllers.  I have yet to see one top 80MB/sec,
>let alone 180MB/sec read or write, which is why we moved _away_ from
>SCSI.  I've seen Compaq, Dell and LSI controllers all do pathetically
>badly on RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10.

Alex,

How does the 3ware controller do in heavy writes back to the database?
It may have been Josh, but someone said that SATA does well with reads
but not writes. Would not equal amount of SCSI drives outperform SATA?
I don't want to start a "whose better" war, I am just trying to learn
here. It would seem the more  drives you could place in a RAID
configuration, the performance would increase.

Steve Poe