Re: Locating sharedir in PostgreSQL on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Locating sharedir in PostgreSQL on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
> From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
>> Which documented recommendation do you speak of?

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/xfunc-c.html states:
> It is recommended to locate shared libraries either relative to $libdir or through the dynamic library path. This
simplifiesversion upgrades if the new installation is at a different location. The actual directory that $libdir stands
forcan be found out with the command pg_config --pkglibdir.

I believe that that is talking specifically about shared libraries (or
DLLs in Windows-speak), and not about configuration or data files.
In particular, nothing under libdir would be a candidate to go under
sharedir, nor vice versa, since the former is supposed to hold
architecture-dependent files and the latter architecture-independent
files.

Mark hasn't been very clear about whether he wants to store static data
files or installation-changeable configuration info, so it's not clear
to me whether Peter's objection to using sharedir is appropriate or not.
But unless the files are architecture-sensitive (which they might be!),
libdir doesn't sound right in either case.