Re: psql file restore - problem with encoding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Miroslav Šulc
Subject Re: psql file restore - problem with encoding
Date
List pgsql-general
John DeSoi wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Miroslav Šulc wrote:
>
>> I have problem on one of our potentional client's linux server with
>> data encoding. I have played with this for some time but with no
>> success. Here is the problem:
>>

> Maybe try setting the client side encoding explicitly at the top of
> the dump file:
>
> \encoding UNICODE
>
> It should also be possible to set this in the psql command line if you
> don't want to modify the file.

The dump file already contains the encoding information as the first
command:

SET client_encoding = 'UNICODE';

so I think this is sufficient. What is strange to me is that the
communication is UNICODE -> UNICODE so for me it means "no conversion",
but the result is different.

> John DeSoi, Ph.D.
> http://pgedit.com/
> Power Tools for PostgreSQL