Re: top posting? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gilberto Castillo
Subject Re: top posting?
Date
List pgsql-admin

> Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:
>
>> (*please* stop top-posting).
>
> I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never
> encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom posting
> has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to scroll,
> often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of original
> material.
>
> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to
> briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly*
> quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and
> bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if
> it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.
>
> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages
> of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom
> it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the same stuff over
> and over in each thread.
>
> How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post"
> idea?
>
> (I'm not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious.)

Prefer a brief note of what this issue, to follow in him. And not I have
to go elsewhere to find out whether or not interest me the news, avoid to
nuisance.

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>