Re: Runtime accepting build discrepancies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Runtime accepting build discrepancies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Why is PL/Java dependent on the internal representation of any
>particular datatype?  Seems like this is a symptom of bad PL design
>more than anything else.

I didn't see any other way of doing it short of using string
conversions. That doesn't seem very optimal. Java's internal
representation of time is millisecs so I have code in place that looks
like this (t in this case is a TimeADT):

#ifdef HAVE_INT64_Time   mSecs = t / 1000;            /* Convert to millisecs */   if(tzAdjust)       mSecs +=
Timestamp_getCurrentTimeZone()* 1000;/* Adjust from

local time to UTC */
#else   if(tzAdjust)       t += Timestamp_getCurrentTimeZone();/* Adjust from local time to
UTC */   t *= 1000.0;                        /* Convert to millisecs */   mSecs = (jlong)floor(t);
#endif

I'm of course interested in improving it. Especially if you consider
this bad PL design. What do you suggest I do instead?

>>The dynamic loader doesn't detect this and I bet there's a ton of
>>combinations that will link just fine but perhaps crash (badly) in
>>runtime. I would like to detect discrepancies like this during runtime
>>somehow. I feel that it's either that or stop providing pre-built
>>binaries altogether. I realize that I can't be the only one with this
>>problem. How is this normally handled?
>>

>If you want you can look into pg_control to see how the database is
>set up.

That would cover this. Thanks (I'd still appreciate an alternative
suggestion on the above though).

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren