Runtime accepting build discrepancies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Runtime accepting build discrepancies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Scenario:
A user download a pre-built PostgreSQL 7.4.7 from somewhere and a
pre-built pljava distro from gborg. He gets everything running but
suddenly encounteres problems with the timetz type. PL/Java apparently
return the time as zero. The problem is caused by the postgresql binary
being built using --enable-integer-datetimes whereas the PL/Java binary
is not.

The dynamic loader doesn't detect this and I bet there's a ton of
combinations that will link just fine but perhaps crash (badly) in
runtime. I would like to detect discrepancies like this during runtime
somehow. I feel that it's either that or stop providing pre-built
binaries altogether. I realize that I can't be the only one with this
problem. How is this normally handled?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren