Re: pgpool question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Hoffmann
Subject Re: pgpool question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> I'm experimenting with pgpool 2.51 on my Linux box runnung
> two postgresql backends: pg74:5432 and pg801:5433
>
> I configured pgpool to use pg74:5432 as primary backend and pg801:5433
> as second one. Pgpool is running on default port (9999) and
> I configured my web application to use it, so I could start/stop backends
> without disturbing client (web browser).
>
> When I stop primary backend (pg74:5432) pgpool switched to backend
>     failover from (5432) to (5433) done
> but when I start primary and stopped secondary backend pgpool
> never switched back to primary backend as expected ! I see bogus message
> like:
>     starting failover from (5433) to (5433)
>
> What I'm doing  wrong ?

I don't think anything.  I could be wrong, but my understanding is that
if the primary goes down, you have to restart pgpool after primary comes
back up.  It doesn't toggle back and forth from primary <-> secondary
when necessary, it only goes primary->secondary.  I played with pgpool
for a while and came up with effectively the same confused question.

--
Jeff Hoffmann
jeff@propertykey.com