Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tope Akinniyi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering at this display of extreme Linux mentality being
> displayed by the 'top bras' of the PostgreSQL community.  And I ask,
> are we encouraging Windows use of PostgreSQL at all?

I believe that there is a lot of encouragement of the use of PostgreSQL
on Windows. However I also believe that the
encouragement is two sided. It is great to get windows people to run
PostgreSQL. It is better to get them to run PostgreSQL
on Windows and then realize that Linux is that much better as a platform
for PostgreSQL. It should also be noted
that FreeBSD would also be a good choice.

> Take a look at tools being rolled out at PgFoundry on daily basis; all
> for Linux except the Windows installer.  I ask myself what is being
> done to encourage PostgreSQL Windows users.  Nothing is available to
> them except the Database and PgAdmin.  No replication tool, no this,
> no that.

Actually Command Prompt is about to release Mammoth Replicator 1.4 for
Win32. It would have been out last week but
our release manager (me) has been very ill. Also remember that Open
Source people in general don't like Windows. Which
is why you won't see a lot of projects for Windows.

> I was troubled when CommandPrompt, the leading Windows support
> provider responded to a post that their plPHP is for Linux only.

Well yes initially it was. However Mammoth PostgreSQL and Mammoth
Replicator for Win32 will come with plPHP preinstalled
for Win32.

> Sorry for this:  Firebird provides equal tools for Linux and Windows
> users.  We are not the one to tell the Windows users whether they need
> them.

And? Firebird was originall a dos and the windows product. It didn't
move to Linux/Unix until later in life.

> Whether Windows is bad or good; Linux is the angel and Windows the
> devil is not the issue here. PostgreSQL has gone the Windows way and
> must not be shown to be deficient.

Patience is a virtue. The Windows version of PostgreSQL is still very
young. You have to give it time to get its feet underneat it.

> I am not holding anybody responsible, but I think we need to do a
> massive re-orientation of the community not to carry the Linux-Windows
> game too far.

It isn't a Linux-Windows game. It is the better platform game. It
doesn't matter if it is Linux, Solaris or FreeBSD. Any one of these
three is exponentially better than windows as a PostgreSQL database server.

This may not be the case in 3 years but for now it is.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks.
>

> -------
> Best regards,
>
> Tope Akinniyi
> *CEO
> /ShepherdHill Software/*
> Lagos, Nigeria
>
> *Do not forget:* /_Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life._/

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Attachment