Re: logging as inserts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: logging as inserts
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Tom,
>

>>But log_line_prefix works fine for all destinations, which is exactly
>>why this new facility isn't a destination.  You're just confusing
>>matters by wanting to treat it as one.
>>

>Hmmm ... hey, if we just allowed extra text in log_line_prefix, and allowed %$
>to enclose the statement with literal quoting, you could do this all through
>log_line_prefix, as:
>
>log_line_prefix='INSERT INTO pg_log VALUES ( %u, %p, ''%t'', ''%$'')'

You can have extra text today, apart from the fact that there's no
escape for the statement. try it and see. log_line_prefix is (not
coincidentally) very similar to a printf-type format string. Indeed, use
of admin-supplied fixed text was always intended - see the discussions
that led up to it.

Incidentally, %$ doesn't tstrike me as ideal - to conform to the way the
rest are done we should use an alphabetic character, not $.

cheers

andrew