Re: High end server and storage for a PostgreSQL OLTP system - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Cosimo Streppone
Subject Re: High end server and storage for a PostgreSQL OLTP system
Date
List pgsql-performance
Cosimo Streppone wrote:

> Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
> > If everything is working the way it's supposed to, 8.0 should be faster
> > than 7.1 (like, twice faster) for what you are probably trying to do.
>
> In the next days I will be testing the entire application with the
> same database only changing the backend from 7.1 to 8.0, so this is
> a somewhat perfect condition to have a "real-world" benchmark
> of Pg 8.0 vs 7.1.x performances.

The "next days" have come. I did a complete migration to Pg 8.0.1
from 7.1.3. It was a *huge* jump.
The application is exactly the same, also the database structure
is the same. I only dumped the entire 7.1.3 db, changed the backend
version, and restored the data in the 8.0.1 db.

The performance level of Pg 8 is at least *five* times higher
(faster!) than 7.1.3 in "query-intensive" transactions,
which is absolutely astounding.

In my experience, Pg8 handles far better non-unique indexes
with low cardinality built on numeric and integer types, which
is very common in our application.

--
Cosimo